SUP Yoga classes are currently suspended during the COVID-19 lockdown. Keep an eye on this page for future events.
Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP) Yoga Sessions on the Emmarentia Dam
The SUP boards are wide, long and stable and are excellently suited for a variety of yoga poses. Practicing on the boards requires a higher than normal engagement of core strength and encourages a mindful and slower approach to your normal practice. The surrounding water, nature and gentle movements of the board all add to the experience.
Every session will start with a short instruction on how to stay stable on the boards, including a short paddle to the other side of the lake. The SUP boards will then be anchored together and the group will move through a 60 minute yoga practice which will be suitable for all levels of practitioners. We will start with poses that involve sitting/kneeling/lying down on the boards, followed by a bit of core strengthening and some standing poses and variations (and for the brave some optional balancing poses!). The best part is a delicious relaxation at the end of the yoga session, lying on your back floating on the board. Everyone gets the chance to paddle around the lake at their own pace, or try out a few more yoga poses on the boards.
- Date and times: every second Saturday at 9.30am (no classes in winter from May-August)
- Cost: 250 ZAR/person per 90 min session
- Venue: Dabulamanzi Canoe Club, Emmarentia Dam
- Participants: maximum 15 per session
- Bring: water, sunscreen, swimming gear (or normal yoga clothes that can get a bit wet), cap, if you have one a watertight container or bag
- You need to be able to swim for this activity